Mikey and Kayla had thier 15 mo check up yesterday. 15 months ALREADY!! It feels like yesterday they just came home. They were born at approximately 5 and 6 pounds and yetserday they were nearly 6 times that!
Vintage Mikey - less than an hour old
Vintage Kayla - 3 days old
Mikey was 28.8 pounds (92%) and 33 inches tall (93%)..... Kayla was 26 pounds(90%) and 31.5 inches tall(80%)! Both were healthy and on track for thier milestones. We were told to expect pickyness in the next few months when it comes to eating, temper tantrums, and they should say up to 5 words by 18 months. So far we have the temper tantrums down hahaha!!! We are very blessed so far they are great eaters. Dr. S said if we can make it to 18 mo chances of them being picky eaters is slim. He said to keep up the great work keeping them happy eaters. As far as words we only have 1... "all done" or is that two?? haha!
Mikey and Kayla last week
I find myself just watching them lately. Just watching and staring in amazement. Where did my babies go? They are toddlers now. True toddlers. They are getting taller, leaner, faster, stronger, and smarter. They are growing in leaps and bounds and everyday to them is a new adventure. They take directions (as well as a 15 mo old can) they tell me what they want, they climb the stairs and ask to take a nap!! They are using sporks and feeding themselves, they "talk" to each other and play together. They are no longer 100% dependant on me. They still need Mike and I VERY much but not like they use to.
I recently purhcased a new laptop and I was taking the time to organize old photos and videos. I found myself watching every video in its entirety from the day i went into labor to a video taken just the other day. How far we have come in 15 short months. I miss my "babies" but i LOVE watching the little people they are becoming.
I was in CVS the other day getting a prescription filled. As i waited in line a beautiful little girl in a tutu dress and boots came around the corner. She was staring at me with her stunning blue eyes. At that moment i realized she was alone. My heart dropped and i began talking to her. She had lost her grandma in the store. After telling the pharmasist i sat in the chairs at the waiting area with the little girl and we talked. She couldnt have been much more than 4 years old. We talked about her pretty dress, what her name was, and other things. As i sat there looking at her pretty smile and stunning eyes i couldnt help but drift off and imagine talking to Kayla about her pretty dress or something similar. For a moment i thought wow that just seems so far off... but the reality of it is that is just around the corner. My babies are growing fast! Thankfully the little girl found her grandma and i went on about my day. But with a new sense of hope and excitment. Excited to know that my baies are growing and i get to talk with them soon about what excites them and i get a deeper sense of who they are and who they will become.
As the kids have gotten older I've put many toys away and taken out new ones. I have learned with babies a great way to save yourself some $$ is to rotate your toys. Meaning put some toys in the basement (we only go in 1x a week) and some toys in the small play room and others in the big play room. The toys always seem fresh to the kids and as they grow they find fun new ways to use them. Well recently Mikey and Kayla have dug out some oldies!
We were in the basement and i hear the chimes of thier bouncy seats. They had been put in the corner for storage until we found a better home from them. Well now Kayla thinks she is a big girl sitting up in her bouncey. The sound immediately took me back!!! They practically lived in those things. I can remeber pulling the string and pulling the string until they fell asleep. I can remeber the day i saw both Mikey and Kayla pull the string for the 1st time on thier own. Its amazing how 1 small little sound can bring you back.
Mikey and Kayla inthe first few weeks home
Then there was the psychadelic mobile they had hahahaha!! That has been sitting in the bottom of thier closet until i can decide if i am going to keep it or sell it. Well Kayla managed to open the closet door the other night and started pushing the buttons. Again immediately i was brought back to when they were little but just starting to track objects. How i wold put them under that mobile and spin the toys around for them and make up funny stories! Here we are now i am trying to teach them the name of those animals!! They went from barely being able to see them to now trying to say the names!
But what really got me was last night. Kayla woke up around 4 am crying (which is very unlike her). I went in and she seemed fussy. Could have been the shots she had gotten earlier in the day could have been teething or even a tummy ache. But its so unlike her to wake that i picked her up and rocked her even though she seemed like she was about to fall back asleep on her own. I like to have music while i rock them... soothes me i guess. Well with the new baby proofed layout of the room getting to thier cd player would have been too hard with her in my arms. I looked around for a second and her crib soother caught my attention. I thought to myself "geeze cant believe this is even still in here she never turns it on". With that i flipped the on switched and turned off the lights on it. It has a choise of animal sounds, lullabys or instrumental. I hit the middle button like i had so many nights the first 3 or 4 months. I never expected a simple soother to effect me so much.
The music played and memories filled my head. I could remeber the first few nights they were home putting the soother on just so i wouldnt hear all of thier little grunts and groans and could get some sleep. I remember then using the soother b/c the sound of silence would drive me insane so i would play that soother more for myself than for them. Memories of having thier crib in our room and Mike and i sitting in bed feeding them at 4am. I could remember Mike and i struggeling to learn how to swaddel them with that music playing in the background. So many memorys were surrounded by this one little set of lullabys. So i sat there and rocked with Kayla's little head on my shoulder and her arms wrapped around my neck. I thought about how i use to sit in this very same chair and rock her and sing to her. The difference then her whole little body use to fit in my arms.... now she has to lay vertically and fold her little legs to fit in my lap.
So i sat there for some time rocking her as she slept. Allowing the memories to wander through my head. What an effect sound can have. How far we have come in 15 short months. I cant imagine what the next 15+ years has in store for us!!!
























No comments:
Post a Comment