A Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The Life

Sunday, July 3, 2011

First Trip to the ER :(

Well we knew it was bound to happen we just didn't know when.  Kayla went to the ER last night.  She started a fever of 101 the night before and we didn't think much of it until the next day.  Despite giving her meds, cool baths, and keeping her cool her temp kept rising. By 4 pm she was at a steady 103.6.  We finally decided to bring her to the ER.  Nothing we were doing was working.  Honestly we were both a little nervous but we knew she would be fine if we could break this fever.

By 5 pm I was walking into the ER with Kayla in my arms.  Dad was at home with Mikey until a friend showed up to watch him.  Despite having a 103.6 temp she was acting as cute as ever to the receptionist.  We were quickly brought back to the triage area where her vitals were taken and more meds were given to her.  She was a trooper for all of this and was very cooperative. 

No sooner were we out of the triage area they called us back to the pediatric ER.  We were brought to a really cute single room that had a TV and adorable animals on the wall.  We met our nurse who was VERY nice.  She warned us that given no other symptoms there was a strong chance they would have to get a urine sample from Kayla which meant a catheter.  The idea of holding my baby down for such a painful thing made me want to vomit.  I settled into the idea that i had to do what i had to do to keep her safe and healthy. 



With Kayla in my lap we snuggled down on the bed and watched the only thing I thought she might like on the TV ...High School Musical 2 hahaha!! With in a few minutes she was dancing in my lap and pointing at the dancers.  Before we knew it we saw someone at the door and it was DADDY!!! Silently i was thanking God that he was here is they had to cath her.  No sooner was daddy in the room and we were met by the doctor.  She was a very sweet gentle woman.  She took one look at Kayla and said no cath for her she knew what was going on.  Again Thank you God!!!!! But what was causing such a high fever??

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease.  Apparently a very VERY common summer time virus.  Causes some sores in the throat and causes extremely high fever.  Unfortunately all we could do was ride the fever out.  This was good and bad news.  Good bc it was nothing serious but bad bc there wasn't much we could do.  With the new info daddy went home to relieve who was watching Mikey in time so they didn't have to do bedtime. 

So it was Kayla Girl and I again.  A nurse came in and gave Kayla some "Magic Mouthwash" and told me to try and get her to eat or drink a little in about 15 min.  So we sat there reading 2 Dr. Seuss books i brought with us when all of a sudden Kayla pushed the books away and crawled down my legs and curled up on the bed.  Before I knew it she was fast asleep.  It was clear she was feeling better.  I noticed she was sweating up a storm and out cold.  I felt her face and she was FINALLY cool to the touch for the first time in almost 24 hours.  Her fever broke.  I lightly covered her up bc she was soaking wet with sweat and I didn't want her to get chilly.  I sat back and cuddled with her while i watched a muted version of High School Musical 2 ....ugh!!!! 



My tummy was rumbling bc I hadn't eaten since lunch and now we were well past her bedtime.  I saw some Goldfish in the diaper bag and figured with a sore throat she wouldn't want any.  I began chowing down when the nurse came in to check Kayla's temp.  As expected Kayla woke up during this process.  After the nurse walked out we sat and snuggled for a minute until she spotted the Goldfish!!! She pointed and signed eat.  WHAT!!! She wanted Goldfish.  Well the nurse said give her whatever she will take.  She sat up in the bed and ate the rest of my Goldfish and a half a Nutrigrain bar.  I was sooo happy to see my baby back to "normal" 


We were discharged about 30 minutes later.  We got home and gave Kayla her dinner and bath/bedtime all while Mikey slept.  It was odd having just 1 baby it was almost surreal.  But We enjoyed the one on one time we rarely get.  She was a different kid than a few hours earlier.  She was giggly and awake.  It brought tears to my eyes to see her smile again!  At 9:30pm she did NOT look like she wanted to sleep so dad and I were pretty nervous her cat nap at the ER was catching up to us.  But after a few minutes of talking about how Mikey was asleep and her blowing him kisses good night she agreed to lay down.  With in minutes she was asleep. 

We knew it was bound to happen... I'm so glad it was something so minor.  I'm sure this isn't the last time we will step foot in that ER, but I pray all the visits go that easy.  I'm so glad to have my baby back!!!  As of this afternoon she was running and laughing like her old self.  Thank you Lord!

 

1 comment:

  1. SO glad to hear she is back to normal! That must have been terrifying

    ReplyDelete