A Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The Life

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Whew what a month!

Lets just say December has been a whirl wind! Between my birthday, Christmas and New Years things were busy enough.  Then you add all the drama lately and wow... is all I have to say. 

Somewhere around Christmas I started getting a cold.  Ehh whatever its winter you get colds.  By the 26th I was pretty sick.  I went to my GP and got put on meds for a sinus infection.  By Jan 2nd I was still no better.  Back to Urgent Care for more drugs bc my GP was full that day.  Another round of Amoxicilian for a sinus infection, diflucan for the lovely woman issues you get from being on so many antibiotics and eye drops for the "apparent" case of pink eye I had. 

By Jan 6th i was no better and i was now starting with what looked like strep throat.  I was no running a low fever and in a lot of eye pain.  I couldn't imagine how i was getting sicker despite all the medication I was on.  By Jan 9th i was feeling slightly better.  My eyes were still in bad shape but my head cold seemed better.  My throat was still pretty sore and looked like I still had strep. 

On Jan. 10th at 9 pm I took my meds like i had been for almost 2 weeks.  This time I added a pill of diflucan I was prescribed in case the antibiotics were taking a toll on me.  With in 20 min of swallowing the pill my throat started to tingle and burn.  Something did not feel right.  With in another 10 min my eyes went from blood shot to so red they looked like they were bleeding.  They began to swell and the pain became unbearable.  Having no other choice I drove myself to the ER sure i was having an allergic reaction to the diflucan.  Once at the ER I waited in the waiting room as i felt myself get worse and worse.  Now i was getting nervous.  I couldn't see to walk by the time they called my name to triage me.  After taking 1 look at me they brought me to a room and dosed me with some steroids and left me to be "observed" for a few hours.  Which translated into they left the room and didn't come back until I called them 2 hours later bc the pain was getting to be too much.  They checked my eye pressure and sent me on my way.  I was given a pill of percocet and some eye drops to numb my eyes so I could drive home.  I was told to sleep it off and should be better in the morning. 

7:45 am Jan 11.  Mike wakes me so he can go to work.  Im still in intense pain but convince myself I can work through it.  I eat the eggs Mike left on my night stand and sipped the coffee he made.  I manage to drag myself down stairs to watch the kids so he could get dressed for work.  Like the fool I am I don't make him aware of the level of pain I am in.  But its clear to him I don't feel well.  He asked me numerous times if I am ok.  I reassure him I will survive! If I only knew how far off I was!! Mike left for work and with in 10 min I was curled up in a ball on the floor writhing in pain.  Mike calls to check on me and I bust out crying.  He assured me he would be home with in 10 min he just had to tell his boss what was going on.  I dial my mom and BEG her to get me in to see an eye doctor ANY eye doctor.  God is amazing bc my mom had just asked for the name of an eye doctor in the area.  She calls the office up and they don't even hesitate.  They said come ASAP. 

9:00 am Jan 11 My mom is picking me up an we are on our way to the eye doctor.  I can barely see to walk and I'm now starting with hives on my chest.  I pop a Zyrtec and hope for the best.  I walk in the eye doctors office and they bring me instantly back to a dark area and have my mom fill out papers.  By this point i am now feeling very sick to my stomach.  I am brought into a room and i was examined by two techs.  Now I am vomiting and having chest pain.  Finally Dr Fulner comes in to see me and doesn't skip a beat.  She examines my eyes between each hurl in the garbage can.  She explained something was attacking my body and my eyes were an outward sign of what my insides were going through.  Then she noticed the hives on my chest.  This is when she decided this was very serious and I need to be in an ER now.  She calls my GP and sends me to a different Er than i was at the night before. 

Here I am in the bathroom at the eye doctor.  I looked pretty good at this point... SCARY!

Noonish Jan 11.  I walk into the ER.  Almost unable to walk myself, unable to see and vomiting away I check myself in.  My mom is frantically parking the car.  The front desk heard 1 word out of my mouth and before I knew it a swarm of nurses were by my side.  "Chest Pain"!!! Before I could get myself together I had an EKG machine attacked, my BP was being taken and my heart rate was monitored.  My BP was dropping fast and my heart rate was going up.  With each wave of chest pain I begin vomiting more.  Hives were spreading fast and I was not doing well.  With in minutes I was back in an ER room hooked up and being monitored.  I was settled into a warm bed and hooked up to an IV.  With in 10 min an ER doc was by my side assessing me.  Another 10 min later I was give at least 4 shots of something straight into my IV.  All I remember after that was waking up to get my BP checked again.  I had been asleep for 45 min +/- my mom said.  Once I was sitting up again I was still in a lot of pain but felt 100x better.  The hives were still visible but not swollen.  My eyes were still VERY red but the pain had subsided slightly and I was feeling much better. 

5:00 pm Jan 11.  I was being discharged!! Still had a pounding head ache but able to walk and see.  I looked like hell felt like hell but was 100X better.  My mom got me a cup of tea to get something in my body and help the headache.  With in 10 min of eating the coffee cake and sipping the warm tea I was like a new woman. 

By 6:oo pm I was back in town and my mom and I stopped and got my plethora of meds.  Finally after a very scary and long day my mom dropped me off at home. 

It felt amazing to be feeling better.  That had been the worst 24 hours of my LIFE!  Mike took care of the kids and got them to bed and I snuggled them close and read them a book. 

Jan 12th 9:30 am.... back at the eye doctors!  Just for a follow up.  My eyes are a MILLION times better the hives are nearly gone and the pain is barely there.  Dr. Fulner examines my eyes and is VERY happy to see the redness down.  She is however NOT happy to see the damage on my cornea.  After re-examining my eyes for a 2nd time she determines I have something on my right eye called "Thygesons".  My understanding is its damage that is caused to your cornea from your immune system being compromised.  She guesses I never had "pink eye"  I had this all along.  It had been going untreated for a week and change.  This was a VERY bad thing.  She said if we had only known then that this is what I had things may have never gone as far as they did.  Her guess is my immune system was so shattered that it revolted on the antibiotics i was taking as well.  My body had had it with being attacked and was shutting down. 

Now with more eye drops and still 5 more days of steroids I am on my way to getting better.  My vision is still pretty messed up in my right eye but the pain is 90% gone.  The hives are only around my feet and things are looking up.  I'm pretty weak but after what my body just went through I think it deserves a small break haha! 

I'm so glad that's all over with.  I still have to follow up with my GP and with Dr. Fulner in 1 week for her to check my vision and my damaged cornea.  This has been the scariest few days of my life.  Times like that bring you back to whats important.  They center you.  God is amazing.  He brought the right doctors to my aid at the right time.  I ended up in Dr. Fulners office for a reason and I am 100% sure she helped save my life.  Times like this bring me back to having fun with my kids... who cares about the messes.  They make me see how much my husband loves me, how much my children need me and how DEEPLY a mothers love is for her daughter.  The fear I saw in my mothers eyes when we got the to ER I knew came from the deep deep love for her baby! And times like this show your true friends colors and bring those friends you thought didn't care out of the wood works.  Times like this make you see whats important!  I'm truly truly blessed to have such an amazing family and friends.  I thank every single one of you for your care an concern these last few days!  I love each and every one of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment