A Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The Life

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kayla and the black eye

The post below made me realize some of you may question how Kayla got that shiner she has in the video.  Ready for a scary story?  Pull up a chair, take a seat and prepare yourself for this one. 

2 nights ago It was just me an the kiddos home as usual.  We were done with dinner and the kids were playing while i cleaned up afterwards.  They have both become quite the climbers but Kayla more so than Mikey.  Kayla's new thing is to climb on her highchair.  She has never been tall enough to make any headway so i just try and shoo her away.  Well we must have had a growth spurt or something!!!

Kayla and Mikey were playing in the kitchen like normal.  They were running around chasing each other and getting into everything.  Kayla was standing at her highchair when she reached up and grabbed the tray with both hands.  She does this often so i dont think much of it.  This time she decided to try and pull up on the tray all while picking her feet up off the floor.  In order to do this she took both feet and placed them on the bottom rail of the highchair down at the base while simultaneously pulling up on the tray. 

In what seemed like a milla second the highchair was up in the air and so was Kayla Girl.  Everything for me went into slow motion at that point.  I tried to move as if I cold catch her mid air... but that wasnt reality.  At one point I remember seeing both Kayla and the highchair off the ground.  Then like that everything switch back to full speed.  Kayla slammed to the ground flat on her back and the high chair followed a half a second later.  Unfortunately unlike Kayla the high chair didnt hit the ground first.... it landed on Kaylas beautiful face!!! All i saw was the tray smash her in what at the time I thought was her upper lip.  When I pulled the high chair off of her I fully expected to see blood pouring out of her mouth.  She was frantic and screaming.  I did all I could do to try and figure out what was hurting.  She wouldnt let me touch her face at all. 

At this point Im convinced she did major damage to her face or head with how she was reacting to me touching her.  I ran to the couch to try and put her on a surface so I could get a closer look at her.  At this point I realize Mikey.... poor Mikey is terrified and screaming.  He was only inches from Kayla when everything came crashing down.  I think between the scaryness of the highchair flying and his sisters screaming... Mikey was a mess, but who could blame him!  I briefly remember looking at Mikey and saying to myself as hard as it was I had to ignore him.  He was fine... nothing touched him... I was sure of that. 

I redirect my attention back to Kayla who is STILL screaming.  At this point I realize it was not her mouth that took the hit.. it was her left eye!!! The bruise and knot on her lower eye lid gave it away.  She was so upset I couldn't get her eye open to acces how badly she was hurt.  After a phone call to daddy to help calm mommy down and a while of rocking both the kids the crying slowed.  I was able to sit Kayla up and get her to open her eyes. 

I checked her pupils, looked for blood in/on her eye, I poked around the orbit to see if she winced.  All seemed ok?? Thank GOD!!! I was fully expecting something to be terribly wrong with one of her beautiful blue eyes!   A few minutes with ice and a baba later all seemed right in her world.  With in minutes she was playing with her brother and giggling.  I was still very uneasy and convinsed we should go to the ER.  But i decided to listen to daddy and just watch her for a little bit.  She was drinking her milk, she was walking and "talking" and it appeared she could see just fine.  We took our bath and went to bed like normal (a little later than usual). 

The incident looked much worse than it really was.  You look at the size and weight of the highchair and think there is no way my baby can just walk away from this unharmed.  But God is great and she did! She has quite the black eye as battle scars but that will heal.  I decided to keep some photos (which looking at now dont due justice to what her eye really looks like!) of the healing process just to show her when she is older what a tough girl she is. 

So now you know... how my pretty Kayla got that big black eye!
Kayla... about 30 min after getting crushed by the high chair

Kayla the next morning signing "cracker" and giving me the "Im hungry NOW lady!!" look

Kayla eatting breakfast the next day. 

I will say today it actually looks worse as you can see in the video.  Its getting much blacker looking and starting with that lovely greenish ting.  ugh! I swear this little girl is going to give her mama a heart attack!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment