A Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The LifeA Day In The Life

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Whats on the menu...

Lately I have made a conscious effort to expose Mikey and Kayla to a variety of foods, in an attempt to avoid having picky eaters hahahaha!  I will admit i am VERY blessed to have two "good" eaters.  We have our days where half our meal is on the floor but I can usually connect that to teething.  So when I know its been a bad night for teeth i stick with soft foods, but finger foods... so that's always fun to experiment with. 

  We try to feed them as little pre-packaged foods as possible (but everyone has a lazy night!) It makes me feel good to know what they are eating and i love to see their faces as they try new things.  Since becoming a SAHM I have found I really enjoy cooking and experimenting with food for the rugrats.  It has made me a healthier cook which is great for the whole family.  I'm happy to say I've lost 8 pounds already even while feeding the kids the proper amount of good fats for their fast growing little bodies!

Anyway on to the real stuff... pics!!!



Meatloaf is a staple around this house but the new adventure is a sweet potato pancake... I thought it was great! Mikey and Kayla not so much!

Breakfast is always a fun time.  Daddy usually cooks this meal for them and it usually consists of eggs, toast and banana.  But when mommy does breakfast we like to have fun.  They will eat everything from  blueberry pancakes to waffles and french toast.  But daddy's eggs will always be a favorite. 

Michaella found a new love for oranges.  She insists on eating them her self which usually means lots of the rind and mess but it makes her happy to gnaw on it!

Ahh the fun new addition of utensils! Santa put in their stockings new sporks! They are getting pretty good at using them and have even learned you can stab your food and it stays on the spork.  Unfortunately we have also learned you can stab your brother or sister! Sooo when utensils are in play the highchairs need to be separated! I will say adding the utensils has made meal time more interesting for the little ones and i find they actually eat more this way.  Who knew??

Here is Kayla with her new spoon.

And Mikey with his spoon

I received some coupons from Gerber as part of a multiples program for $10 on Gerber products.  I decided to use that $10 to buy juice for Mikey and Kayla.  To my surprise they really like the Harvest Juice which contains veggies and juice.  I'm pretty excited to have found a new great way to get more veggies in them!

While in Babies R Us i saw these pouches.  I read on line this is a great way to get your toddler to eat fruits and veggies.  They can suck on the spout and squeeze and its a no mess solution! (admittedly i accidentally bought a baby food pouch... the red package was tot puree but still the same and the rugrats loved the blueberries) I also found something similar in shoprite containing applesauce and some other fruit like banana.  The kids LOVE these and i find they are great for an in between meals snack bc i can sit on the floor with them and they can take turns walking up to me and taking a sip.... no spoons.. no bowls... now mess AMAZING! They are costly but worth having in the diaper bag in an emergency. 

PIZZA... who doesn't love pizza!  We love to make homemade pizza and save ourselves some money and grease hahaha! This is the uncooked version but we kept it simple but everyone loved it.  Red peppers, onion, sauce and cheese on whole wheat dough! Everyone even mommy and daddy scarfed it down. 

What to do with veggies that are about to go bad?? Make bread! Who would have thought?  I had some zucchini that were on their way out so I jumped online got a great recipe for zucchini bread.  I used whole wheat flower and honey in stead of regular flour and sugar! It was soooo yummy.  They kids and i couldn't get enough of it.  I swear we ate it with 3 meals a day for like a week! (this is a pic before it went in the oven) It was so simple to make and lasts almost 2 weeks in the refrig. 

What week is not complete with out pasta! This was raviolis, meatballs and sauce but you'd never know bc they loved it so much I couldn't get a picture.  I snuck some veggies in the sauce.. a little grated zucchini, green peppers and onion.  It sweetened the sauce and made it sooo yummy! The rugrats ate so much that I had to literally give them my dinner and have a salad instead!

"what mom... do i have something on my face?" (Mikey)

"hahahaha mommy tastes yummy even up my nose!" (Kayla)


I love watching them grow and I love knowing I am feeding them healthy.  Since becoming a SAHM cooking has been a new hobby for me.  I never pictured myself excited to cook dinner... but the feeling you get when you see your babies growing and its b/c you are making good choices for them is amazing! I cant wait for the next new thing! Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment